by Andreas Hunkeler
Only healthy trees can guarantee the diverse and important effects of urban greenery. Healthy trees beautify the cityscape, improve the air and even have a positive influence on our health. Sick trees, on the other hand, can be expensive for cities: they usually have to be felled before they can cause damage if a branch falls. A good water balance is essential for the trees. They also need water, for example, to defend themselves against pests.
Due to the increasingly extreme weather events (drought or floods), green spaces and urban trees are becoming more and more important. At the same time, older trees also increasingly need support in dry times. At the same time as the greater maintenance expenditure, however, most cities do not receive any additional funds for their management. This is where casting sponsorships can be useful. Also because citizens often like to stand up for nature in their city.
Casting sponsorships: is nothing worth nothing for free?
Watering sponsorships enable the irrigation of older trees in particular. But how can cities and the population work together successfully? Cities also need to be sure that the casting spades are actually doing their job.
Here it is helpful to point out the long tradition of voluntary work in the entire German-speaking area. Countless volunteers and non-profit associations take on a wide range of tasks throughout the language area. On the website from the German volunteering it says that more than 2020 million people did voluntary work in 17! The spectrum for voluntary work is limitless: As a trainer in a club, as a language teacher for asylum seekers, as an environmentalist, as a first aid trainer, as a companion for older people. There is also voluntary work in civil protection and in organizations such as Doctors Without Borders.
Countless people are already volunteering for a wide variety of issues.
What is important for casting sponsorships:
Knowledge about tree irrigation is necessary for the success of watering sponsorships. Watering spoons should know that trees are watered differently than most plants at home or in gardens. So casting godmothers cannot fully rely on their experience with other plants or on their intuition, although both are a good basis.
Unlike most of the plants in our gardens, trees have their roots deep in the ground. It is therefore crucial that enough water can seep into the deeper layers. Only there - in the deeper layers of the earth - can the tree absorb the water. It is therefore better to make fewer watering courses and to give a lot of water for each one. 150-200 liters with 1-2 washes per week are optimal. It is also important that the water is released slowly so that it can seep into the deep layers of the earth. That takes time and patience.
There are several methods that can be used to efficiently water trees. In cooperation with watering sponsors, tree irrigation bags are particularly suitable for city trees.
These offer the following advantages:
- You can let 75L of water seep into the earth for 6-9 hours in one pouring run and only need minutes to fill up the bag. The water has a lot of time to drain away, although the time required is minimal.
- If you connect two bags on a tree, you can also dispense 150 or 200 liters of water in one pouring passage. That is the ideal amount for a tree.
- Through the drip irrigation of the bags, the water seeps into the earth so slowly that the soil can absorb all of the water. Because this means that no water is washed away, you can save water at the same time. This is an important factor for watering spades, because they often pay for the water out of their own pocket
- By watering with an irrigation bag, a measurable and clear recommendation can be made for the casting godparents (e.g. 2x2 bags per week). This recommendation is helpful for many watering spades, as the water requirements of trees are not easy to estimate. This also makes the pouring effort easier to calculate.
- This means that casting godmothers know that they need relatively little time to water their trees efficiently
- In addition, the bags can be printed. In this way, for example, you can draw the attention of other parts of the population to the founding sponsorships and promote public acceptance for them
- The fact that watering spades are given (or borrowed) a watering bag make them visible as watering spades. You will gain recognition and commitment.
Do you want more tree knowledge?
That might interest you
8 things you should know about trees
Healthy trees are impressive creatures that provide us humans with oxygen. But how ...